Thursday, October 16, 2008

Recipe Surfing roundup!

Here is a sampling of recipes I've stumbled upon online lately and felt compelled to try.

Pomodori al Forno (Seasoned & Baked Tomatoes) - tasty, but too flavorful on their own. I made sandwiches out of them with mozzerella and basil on a warm baguette, and they were company-worthy and so easy!

Roasted Peach Strusel (with almond cream!)
- I love baked peaches. These were not quite up there with peach cobbler, but they were easy, different, and very tasty. I would be happy to eat plain almond cream for dessert...love it. If you enjoy almond flavoring, try this recipe!

Whoopie Pies with this recipe
and frosting from this recipe - They were pretty good, not amazing. Same goes for the frosting, it was an average buttercreamy filling. Then again, I am not a whoopie pie connosieur. I'm working on that. I became interested after sampling some store varieties (oreo cakesters and one other kind) and I was convinced I could improve upon the product. I'm kind of ashamed to say that I think I enjoyed the cakesters more. Next up: banana whoopie pies, and pumpkin whoopie pies. I can't wait!

Tomatoes stuffed with Rice - reminiscent of tomato-basil pasta. They would have been better if I had followed the directions and used the right kind of rice (I was cheap and used whatever I had, resulting in a crunchy rice interior). Texture aside, the taste was right-on. The potatoes baked on the side didn't quite work for me. Some areas dried out.

Coconut Cupcakes are from Simply Recipes. Therefore, they were flawless. I made them for Ava's birthday party. They were kind of like the Magnolia Bakery vanilla cupcakes, but more moist and subtly coconutty.

No comments: